AISD Enrolling Students in Pre-K Beginning Aug. 11
AUSTIN, Texas—On Aug. 11, AISD will begin enrolling qualified children for prekindergarten.
Full-day pre-K is available to four-year-olds who qualify. In addition, half-day pre-K will be available at Oak Springs and Zavala elementary schools for qualifying three-year-old students.
Four-year-old, Full-day Pre-K
Pre-K is available to all children who are four years old by Sept. 1, 2014, and who qualify by being one of the following:
- Unable to speak and/or comprehend the English language; or
- Educationally disadvantaged (qualify for free/reduced lunch); or
- Homeless, as defined by 42 U.S.C. Section 11302; or
- The child of an active duty member of the armed forces of the United States; or
- The child of a member of the armed forces of the United States who was injured or killed while serving on active duty; or
- Currently or ever have been in the conservatorship of the Department of Family and Protective Services following an adversary hearing under Family Code 262.201.
When registering, legal guardians should bring the following information:
- Official birth certificate,
- Up-to-date immunization record,
- Current proof of income,
- Current proof of residence, and
- Parent/guardian picture ID.
Three-year-old, Half-day Pre-K
This year, Austin ISD will also provide a half-day pre-K program for three-year-olds at Oak Springs and Zavala elementary schools. The program will offer children hands-on, purposeful opportunities for learning.
To be eligible for the 3 Pre-K program, a child must be three years of age on or before Sept. 1, 2014, live in the district and meet the guidelines as stated in the four-year-old pre-K program. Legal guardians should bring the same documentation to register as the pre-K program for four-year-olds.
If you have questions or need additional information, please contact the Early Childhood Department at (512) 414-4790.