AISD Board Seeks Applicants for District 7 Trustee
Deadline to apply is Sept. 8; Community meetings to follow
Austin ISD Board of Trustees is accepting application to fill the vacant District 7 seat.
The passing of Trustee Robert Schneider in July created an open seat on the board. Trustees were facing an Aug. 11 deadline to notify Travis County if they planned to hold a special election.
The board voted Aug. 25 on the process for appointing a new District 7 trustee.
The process and timeline approved by the board includes three opportunities for candidates to respond to questions by residents of District 7. Trustees will interview candidates during the week of Sept. 21, and the board will decide Sept. 28.
The deadline to submit an application and questionnaire for the District 7 position is 5 p.m. Sept. 8.
The application and completed questionnaire must be submitted to Edna Butts, Director of Intergovernmental Relations and Policy Oversight, 1111 W. Sixth St., Suite A230. Applicants may have their applications notarized at AISD at no charge.
Eligibility—Texas Election Code Section 141.001
To qualify for appointment by the board of trustees, a person must meet the following requirements:
- United States citizen;
- Residence—one year in state and six months in the single-member trustee district from which the position is elected or, if running for the at-large position, six months in the school district prior to filing deadline (Texas Elec. Code, Section 141.001(a)).
- Age—18 years or older on the first day of the term to be filled;
- Must be a registered voter at time of election. (Texas Elec. Code, Section 141.001(a)(6); Texas Gov’t Code, Section 601.009).
- Have not been determined by a final judgment of a court exercising probate jurisdiction to be:
1. totally mentally incapacitated; or
2. partially mentally incapacitated without the right to vote; and
- Have not been finally convicted of a felony from which the person has not been pardoned or otherwise released from the resulting disabilities.
Three public meetings will be held with candidates to answer questions submitted by District 7 constituents. The public will be able to submit questions on AISD’s website. The deadline to submit questions online will be noon Sept. 14 or can be submitted in person at any of the three public meetings.
The meetings will be held:
- 7–8 p.m. Sept. 15 at Bowie High School
- noon–1 p.m. Sept. 17 at Covington Middle School
- 11 a.m.–noon Sept. 19 at Baranoff Elementary School
For more information, please visit http://www.austinisd.org/board/selection.