Superintendent Paul Cruz: Hurricane Harvey Update
Dear Austin ISD Family,
The safety of our greater Austin ISD family is always our top priority. We continue to monitor Hurricane Harvey and developing weather conditions to determine how it could affect our campuses.
If you are driving and feel your safety is in danger, please do not take a risk. Remember that Austin can flood quickly and there are numerous low water crossings. Check to see if there are road closures at www.ATXfloods.com.
- Austin PRIDE Festival and Parade – The event is postponed because of the weather. The organization is working with the city of Austin to reschedule, and we’ll keep participants updated.
- Activities – All activities are canceled, including athletics events and field trips, for today, Saturday and Sunday.
- How is shelter information shared with public?
- Updates are available by calling 512-974-2000 or 3-1-1, in the local area.
- How can I volunteer?
- For volunteer information, contact the Red Cross at 800-928-4271, visit this website. The Red Cross has issued an urgent request for volunteers: http://www.redcross.org/news/article/local/texas/central-and-south-texas/Urgent-Shelter-Volunteer-Training-in-Austin-Friday-82517
- You may also contact the Austin Disaster Relief Network at 512-806-0800
- Where can donations be made?
- No donations are being accepted currently, however contact the Red Cross at 800-928-4271 for donation information. Please reiterate that donations are not needed.
- Who should I contact if I need help?
- Call 9-1-1 for emergencies and 3-1-1 for non-emergencies
Austin ISD is one of many Central Texas emergency response agencies coordinating with the Austin Travis County Emergency Operations Center. State officials sent a request to activate the Capital Area Shelter Hub Plan, which provides shelter assistance in response to an approaching hurricane. As of 10 a.m. Friday, Aug. 25, the Delco Center is open as an emergency shelter and is already receiving evacuees. In case the Delco Center reaches capacity, the LBJ ECHS and LASA campus is being prepared to also receive evacuees.
We will continue to post any relevant updates to the Austin ISD website and social media. These resources are: Website: www.austinisd.org; Twitter: @AustinISD; and the storm hashtags for Central Texas are #ATXShelter and #Harvey; Facebook: www.Facebook.com/AustinISD.
Thank you and stay safe,
Paul Cruz, Ph.D.