Pedestrian and Bike Safety Tips
The safety of all our students at AISD is our top priority. Here are a few ways to stay safe as pedestrians.
When riding your bike to or from school:
- Always wear a bike helmet.
- Ride your bikes in a single file.
- Don't carry passengers on your bike.
- Use hand signals when turning or stopping.
- Ride your bike on the right-hand side of the road.
- Obey traffic signs.
- Walk your bike across the street.
- Remember that when you are in the street on your bicycle, you are considered a vehicle.
When walking to or from school:
- Don't cross in the middle of a street. Always go to the intersection or the crosswalk to cross the street.
- Stop, look and listen. Drivers don't always stop for you at a crosswalk or green/walk light. Look for cars and make sure it's safe before you cross the street.
- Look in all directions before you cross the street.
- Never run across the street. See if any cars are coming and then walk across the street.
- See and be seen. Look in the direction of the driver and make sure the driver sees you.
- Cross with crossing guards at school crosswalks.
- Never walk along or play on the railroad tracks. A train cannot stop quickly for you!
Always be aware of your surroundings when walking or biking to or from your school. Drivers can also help keep our community safe by watching out for pedestrians or students riding their bicycles. Have a safe commute!