Original L.C. Anderson Alumni Honored at Football Game
More than 40 alumni from the original Anderson High School attended the Trojans' football game Oct. 22 against Lehman High School at Nelson Field.
The football players from the original Anderson High School joined current players on the field for the coin toss before the game.
This group of former Yellow Jackets included members of the state championship teams from 1942, ’56, ’57 and ’61.
“This football game was unique and different from other games in that it served as a bridge to connect Anderson's current students and alumni with alumni from the original L.C. Anderson high school. Having players from Anderson's championship teams from the ’40s, ’50s and ’60s to cheer on Anderson's current players was priceless,” said Raymond Whitley Jr., president of the Original L. C. Anderson Alumni Association. “It was important to honor the alumni at this game to strengthen the link to the past and fulfill the vision of keeping the legacy of L.C. Anderson alive for future generations.
All other alumni, including former cheerleaders, band members, drill squad members and others were given reserved seating on the 50-yard line and a special shirt, and were recognized during the game.
L.C. Anderson High School was named for E. H. Anderson, who served as principal of Prairie View Normal Institute, now Prairie View A&M, from 1879 to 1885.
In 1971, the school was ordered closed by a federal judge as part of desegregation, and a new, integrated L. C. Anderson High School was opened at its current location at 8403 Mesa Drive in 1973. Another prominent African-American educator, Charles Akins, was the first principal of the current Anderson High School. Akins High School is named after him.
For more information on black history in AISD, please visit www.austinisd.org/community/african-american-engagement/tips-for-you.
The Austin History Center currently has an exhibit on Austin’s Public Schools, which includes numerous photos from L.C. Anderson High School.
Pictured: Former L.C. Anderson alum James Alexander played on the back-to-back state championship teams in 1956 and 1957.