Board Recognizes Carstarphen, AISD Students for Achievements Tonight
Tonight, Austin ISD’s Board of Trustees will recognize Superintendent Meria Carstarphen and nearly 100 students who have earned statewide and national achievements in arts, athletics, science and service. The tr
The trustees' Special Meeting for Recognitions is at 6:30 p.m. Monday, April 21, at the Carruth Administration Center, board auditorium, 1111 W. Sixth St.
AISD trustees will recognize Carstarphen for her contributions to the district during the past five years. Under her leadership, the district has made significant gains in many areas and the trustees will highlight AISD’s graduation rate, which has reached an all-time high of 82.5 percent, and the district’s move toward a culture that emphasizes the whole child, every child; expanded focus and emphasis on arts education; improved attendance; and change in the way it approaches discretionary removals from the classroom.
Read the recognition statement.
The trustees also will recognize:
- Bedichek Middle School Junior Marines who won the Overall Grand Champion award at the National Middle School Cadet Corps Drill Competition
- Austin High School Silver Medal Winner, Kendall Brewer, who placed second in the U.S. Junior Women’s Rowing Team championships in Trakai, Lithuania
- AISD swimmers and a diver who placed second through sixth at the UIL State Swimming and Diving Meet
- AISD wrestlers who placed third, fourth or fifth place at the UIL State Wrestling Meet
- the Austin Youth and Government Club students and sponsors
- students for their performance in the Texas Forensic Association State Tournament
- Crockett High School, All-State Basketball Team member, Jordyn Holmes
- students whose art was selected for the State Youth Art Month Exhibit at the Texas Capitol and their art teachers
- students who competed at state or international science fairs, winning awards at the ExxonMobile Texas Science and Engineering Fair or qualifying to participate in the Intel International Science and Engineering Fair
- students whose art was selected for the Youth Art Month 2014 Art T-Shirt and the 2014 City Billboard and their art teachers
- the first and second place national winners for the Scholastic Art and Writing Competition and
- the first place winners of the state’s Visual Arts Scholastic Event.
To review the agenda and board recognition statements, please visit: http://www.boarddocs.com/tx/austinisd/Board.nsf/goto?open&id=9FS6YL7D1905
For more information, please contact the Department of Communications and Community Engagement at 414-2414.