Austin ISD Seeking Applicants for Budget Stabilization Task Force
In response to the district’s growing budget deficit, Austin ISD is forming a Budget Stabilization Task Force.
The ad hoc advisory body will meet on Wednesdays this summer to explore a broad range of actions the district could take to balance the budget in the next two to three years.
While the work of the task force will inform potential topics of discussion, the preliminary scope of work will include:
- Evaluating the alignment of budgetary investments and potential divestments with the district’s Strategic Plan.
- Analyzing the Academic Return on Investment study to consider sunsetting programs/initiatives.
- Discussing potential effects of resource reallocations and increased efficiencies.
- Exploring ways to maximize district employee benefits and compensation
- Exploring district revenue options.
The product of this work will be the development of annual deficit reduction targets and options, and a summary of findings with rationale for consideration by Superintendent Paul Cruz.
Each trustee will nominate one member to the task force. Additional slots will be filled with the intent of ensuring representation from diverse backgrounds, perspectives and expertise, reflective of the AISD community at large.
Task force meetings will be open to the public, with dedicated time for public comment. Meetings will be recorded and made available on the district’s BSTF website.
The district is developing tools to provide the public with additional ways to take part in the work of the task force, and members will be charged with carefully considering a wide range of community feedback.
Tentative meeting schedule: 5:30–8:30 p.m. June 20, July 11, July 25, Aug. 8 and Sept. 19 in the Austin ISD Board Auditorium, 1111 W. Sixth St.
Please contact Ali Ghilarducci at 512-414-4487 with questions.