Austin ISD celebrates Earth Month
Austin ISD is celebrating Earth Month with environmental sustainability initiatives at schools and in the community. AISD Earth Month events include:
- Small Green Tech Academy Green Flag Celebration, April 6—Small Green Tech Academy celebrates its status as the first school in Texas to receive the highest green school designation from the National Wildlife Federation’s Eco-Schools USA program.
- Soil Sampling, through April 10—The City of Austin and the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency are offering to test school garden soil samples for the presence of nutrients, pesticides and other chemical pollutants. Email email@example.com for details. Learn more.
- AISD Sustainability Brand Contest, through April 17—Students in sixth through 12th grade are invited to create a brand for AISD’s environmental sustainability initiatives. The winning student's school could earn up to $500 for design materials or a campus greening project. Students will have the opportunity to work with brand, design and environmental professionals in a simulated design exercise and have their work featured throughout the district. View contest details and frequently asked questions.
- Earth Day Parade, April 18—Several AISD campuses are participating in an Earth Day parade at 12:30 p.m. at Mueller Park. See the Austin Earth Day Festival website for more information.
- AISD Green Team Earth Day Celebration, April 22—AISD Campus Green Team Representatives will celebrate with an Earth Day Extravaganza. Details coming soon!
- Earth Day at Discovery Hill, April 25—Learn from the experts at the National Wildlife Federation about how to build and maintain effective wildlife habitats. Celebrate Earth Month with Ranger Rick at the Discovery Hill Outdoor Learning Center, located at the Science and Health Resource Center, 305 N. Bluff Drive. Learn more.