AISD, Central Texas Under Heat Advisory
The National Weather Service recently placed most of Central Texas under a heat advisory until 7 p.m. Thursday, as daytime temperatures are expected to climb to between 100 and 105 degrees. As a result, AISD is triggering Green Tier activities—things that AISD staff can do to both save energy and prevent heat-related illnesses.
To save energy, AISD encourages the following actions be taken on its campuses:
- Turn lights off in large areas like cafeterias and libraries.
- Turn lights off where sufficient natural light exists.
- Reduce facility use of HVAC systems by doing things like raising the thermostats to 78 degrees.
- Spread and encourage messages of energy conservation.
To prevent symptoms of heat exhaustion, employees and students should adhere to the following:
- Stay in the shade or indoors whenever possible.
- Wear sunscreen with SPF 15 or higher.
- Limit physical fitness activities to the early mornings or late evenings.
- Take 10-minute water breaks per every 30 minutes of exercise.
- Wear light, loose-fitting clothing.
- Use the buddy system during all outside activities such as athletic practices or performing arts schedules.
- Carry a water bottle or ensure you have easy access to water to ensure you stay hydrated.
Practicing Green Tier activities will help AISD students and staff stay cool and safe on campus. Remember, seek medical attention immediately if you feel you or someone near you is experiencing symptoms of heat related illness.