AISD Celebrates Youth Art Month with Student-Designed Billboard
"Imagine the Possibilities," the 2017 theme of Austin ISD's Youth Art Month, kicked off with the signing of a student-designed billboard.
Travis Early College High School art student David Thang signed his artwork on the billboard at 1614 Montopolis Road.
The Austin Fire Department lifted Thang; his art teacher, Rachael Wellborn; and Superintendent Paul Cruz up in a fire truck bucket to sign the billboard.
“The artwork represents the opening of the mind to the possibility of technology of toys from the past to toys of the future, and the imagination of what we can do within the timeline,” said Thang.
Wellborn praised Thang's talent and temperament.
“David is a remarkable student,” Wellborn said. “David, who came from Burma as a refugee with his family, is very polite and works very hard. He is a four-time winner of Texas Art Education Association’s Visual Arts Scholastic Event, medal winner of art contests in his school two years in a row, valedictorian of his class of 2018 [and] will earn an associate degree when he graduates,” she said.
Thang’s artwork won in the 25th annual Austin ISD high school student billboard design contest. Ten billboards throughout Austin will feature Thang's artwork in March:
- 4500 Airport Blvd., west of 45th Street
- 1021 38 1/2 St., east of IH 35 North
- 5441 Burnet Road, north of Houston Street
- Denson Drive, west of Airport Boulevard
- 4141 Congress Ave., south of Ben White Boulevard
- 2204 Airport Blvd., south of Manor Road
- 801 Airport Blvd., north of Levander Loop
- 1614 Montopolis Road, north of Riverside Drive
- 3125 12th St., west of Airport Boulevard
- 5207 Seventh St., east of Shady Lane
Youth Art Month also includes the Districtwide Art Show, featuring more than 1,700 student works of art representing 113 elementary, middle and high schools on display at the Austin ISD Performing Arts Center, 1500 Barbara Jordan Blvd.
More details about the art show, including the schedule for viewing the items and information about the opening reception, are available online.