On October 5, 2013, the Environmental Stewardship Advisory Committee (ESAC) held an Environmental Stewardship Conference at Small Middle School, in collaboration with the Small Middle School Green Fest.
Paul Turner, AISD Executive Director of Facilities, opened the conference with an explanation of the role of the ESAC in supporting the sustainability policy adopted by the AISD Board of Trustees. Dr. Lawrence Fryer, AISD Chief Operating Officer, led those in attendance in signing the Environmental Sustainability Pledge as a symbol of their commitment to practicing environmental sustainability at their schools, workplaces, and homes. Lucia Athens, City of Austin Chief Sustainability Officer, provided the keynote address on "Operating Principles for a Bright Green Future."
Following the keynote address, workshops were held about the following topics:
- AISD Energy, Water and Sustainability Program – Overview of energy and water conservation, green building, and green cleaning initiatives at AISD.
- Building a Campus Green Team – Guidance on creating a green team at your school.
- City of Austin Safe Routes to School – Overview of the City’s efforts to improve the safety conditions of routes to school and encourage walking and biking to school.
- E-waste Recycling and Computer Re-use – Discussion of why and how to properly dispose of electronic waste.
- How to Have a Zero Waste Event – Outline for how to make your next classroom event zero-waste.
- Jumpstart Your Green School – Ideas and case studies about how EcoRise Youth Innovations can help with project-based environmental education in your school.
- Landfill Logic - Grades 6th-8th curriculum exploring how we create and dispose of trash.
- Schoolyard Chickens – Basics of raising schoolyard chickens.
- Sustainable School Grounds - AISD case studies of school gardens, sustainable landscaping, and outdoor classrooms.
- The Importance of IAQ – Information on drivers of indoor air quality in schools and how air quality affects the learning experience.
- Transportation Sustainability – Information about AISD’s efforts to provide more sustainable transportation options and reduce vehicle idling at schools.