Working together, Austin ISD district and campus staff as well as parents and families can support student participation in advanced academic programs. The information on this site encourages the recruitment and retention of students in advanced academic programs and may be used by Austin ISD district and campus staff, parents and families, and the at-large community to encourage participation in Gifted and Talented (GT), Talent Explore (TE), Pre-AP and Advanced Placement, and other advanced-level courses.
Gifted and Talented Resources
These resources are designed for parents/guardians and school staff.
- GT Parent Manual (01/01/20)
- GT Parent Manual (01/01/20) (Spanish)
- GATE Talking Points (1-pager in Spanish and English)
- Giftedness Knows No Boundaries (social media)
- Successful Study Habits (smores)
- Guiding the Gifted (newsletters)
- Guiding the Gifted: Asynchronous Development (English) (español)
- Guiding the Gifted: Heightened Sensitivity (English) (español)
- Guiding the Gifted: Introversion (English) (español)
- Guiding the Gifted: Peer Relations (English) (español)
- Guiding the Gifted: Leadership (English) (español)
- Guiding the Gifted: Learning Styles (English) (español)
- Guiding the Gifted: Perfectionism (English) (español)
- Guiding the Gifted: Moral Development (English) (español)
- Guiding the Gifted: Bibliotherapy (English) (español)
Gifted and Talented Webinars
Austin ISD has purchased a site license for the following SENG webinars. Use access code CP2017 to view webinars.
- Is It a Gift or a Curse? What It Means to Be an Outlier… and What to Do about It!
- Mindfulness: Fostering the Emotional Growth of Children with Advanced Abilities
- Building Resilience in Gifted Children: Fostering a Sense of Autonomy and Confidence
- Stress, Anxiety and Gifted: Coping with Everyday Life
- Strategies for Dealing with Emotional Overexcitabilities
Advanced Placement Resources
These resources are designed for students but can also be used by parents/guardians and school staff.
- Request 'Why Take AP' poster set
- Explore AP (website for students)
- Conversation Starter for AP (guide)
- AP YouTube Channel (videos)
- AP Digests (newsletters)
- Successful Study Habits
Austin ISD Elementary GT Services
Elementary GT services include instruction by a teacher with the appropriate GT Foundations training within a cluster grouping model (small group of identified GT students within the general education classroom) which allows opportunities for curricular tasks that include greater depth, complexity, and pacing while working independently with other GT students, and with students not identified. Parents/guardians of identified GT students at the elementary level should expect either a GT Student Services Summary (K-2) or GT Student Services Summary (3-5) each semester completed by the teacher or another form of documentation of the academic options provided. Academic options provided vary based on campus and teacher decisions.
Austin ISD Secondary GT Services
Secondary GT services include instruction by a teacher with the appropriate GT Foundations training and any required specialized training in the following options:
- Advanced Placement,
- Magnet (requires admission to magnet),
- International Baccalaureate (requires admission to IB),
- Dual Credit (requires passing TSI score), or
- Advanced-level CTE courses.
Acceleration provides GT students with a choice of concentrating on their strengths or interests through the selection of at least one course in the GT interdisciplinary strands of STEM and/or Humanities for which they are identified each school year. Academic options provided vary based on campus decisions.