- Early Childhood Education
- Pre-K 3
- Pre-K 4
- Early Childhood Team
A Joyful Place for Students to Learn and Grow!
Prekindergarten is a special program for eligible four-year-old students. The prekindergarten program is designed to meet the needs of a child's early years, which are a period of rapid growth. It is during this period that key concepts are developed which directly correlate to a student's future academic success. Prekindergarten is an exciting time for students and for parents. For many families, prekindergarten is the introduction into the public school system.
The Austin Independent School District provides a full-day prekindergarten program for all children who turn four on or before September 1st of the current school year. Students must also qualify by being either:
- Limited-English proficient (LEP); or
- Educationally disadvantaged; or
- Child of active military parent; or
Registration for prekindergarten begins in April and again in August. Parents should apply at their neighborhood school. The following documents must be brought to registration:
- Current paycheck stub
- Proof of residence, such as a gas or electric bill
- Official birth certificate or equivalent
- Up-to-date immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID
REGISTER YOUR CHILD
(Your child must be 4 as of September 1st.)
Enroll on your campus.
If you are unsure which school your child will attend, call the Office of Student Services 414-1726
or view school assignments online.
Items you will need for registration:
- Immunization Record
- Social Security Card (for your child)
- Birth Certificate (State Issued)
- Photo Copy of Parent ID
- Proof of Residence (rental contract or utility bill with valid address)
- Proof of Income (current check stub)
- When your child will meet his/her teacher
- Bus Schedules
- Important Contact Numbers
If you register your child after school begins, you will need to bring the same documents and any paperwork from your previous school.