PK3 2018-19 is a program for eligible three-year-old students. The PK3 program is designed to meet the needs of a child's early years, which are a period of rapid growth. It is during this period that key concepts are developed which directly correlate to a student's future academic success. PK3 is an exciting time for students and for parents. For many families, it is the first time that the child has been in a group setting away from home.
The Austin Independent School District half-day PK3 program serves children who turn three on or before September 1st of the current school year. Students must also qualify by being either:
- Limited-English proficient (LEP); or
- Educationally disadvantaged; or
- Child of active military parent; or
- Have been in the care of the Department of Family and Protective Services; or
- Homeless; or
- A child of a person eligible for the Star of Texas Award as: a peace officer under Section 3106.002, Government Code; a firefighter under Section 3106.003, Government Code; or an emergency medical first responder under Section 3106.004, Government Code.
Registration for 3PK begins on April 4th and then again in August. Parents should apply at their neighborhood school or PK3 school of choice. The following documents must be brought to registration:
- Current paycheck stub
- Proof of residence, such as a gas or electric bill
- Official birth certificate or equivalent
- Up-to-date immunization record
- Parent/guardian photo ID