Teacher of the Year Nominations Now Open
It’s time to begin the search for the 2012 Austin Teacher of the Year. As we ponder the accomplishments of exceptional teachers at the campus, area, and district levels, we recognize exemplary teaching happening in each of our schools. In selecting the Teacher of the Year, we distinguish individual excellence, and we also gain appreciation for the dedication and ability of numerous talented teachers.
As a tribute to teaching excellence throughout the district, the process begins at the campus level, where teachers will be selected as Campus Teachers of the Year.
- Campuses should submit Teacher of the Year nominations by Friday, Jan. 27, in order to allow three weeks for that individual to complete and submit their application by Thursday, Feb. 16.
- Level Committees, which include community members, teachers and administrators and are chaired by the associate superintendents, will screen campus Teachers of the Year to select 22 semifinalists.
- These 22 semifinalists will be reviewed by a district selection committee, which will name the three finalists for Elementary, Middle and High School Teacher of the Year. District Teacher of the Year finalists will be observed and interviewed by an AISD Teacher of the Year Selection Committee. This committee will choose ONE AISD Teacher of the Year.
- At the annual Salute event May 23, co-hosted by AISD and Austin Partners in Education, all campus Teachers of the Year will be honored and the district will name the AISD Teacher of the Year.
- The selected individual will then represent AISD in the Texas Teacher of the Year Program.
Who is eligible for Teacher of the Year?
- A teaching professional (i.e. classroom teachers, Instructional Coaches, and Reading Specialists) with at least 3 years of experience, 3 of which occur in Austin ISD (can include the current year)
- A teaching professional who does not plan on retiring during the next academic year
- A teaching professional who spends the majority of their day teaching children in a classroom
- A teaching professional who exhibits demonstrable improvement in student performance
- A teaching professional who exemplifies excellence in teaching
For questions about the Teacher of the Year Program, please contact Claudia Vela in the AISD Office of Educator Quality at (512) 414-4276.
|District Guidelines >||Selection Process >|
|Timeline >||Suggested Campus Process >|
Learn more about AISD's Teacher of the Year Program >